Thursday, February 16, 2006

Major Modification Time

Okay, let's suppose that I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm about to majorly modify an hourglass sweater for my 4 yo niece. Would you do it? Here's what I want to do:
1. add a cable up the center of each sleeve, two in the front, and one on the hood.
2. add a hood.
3. steek it (which I've never done) and add a zipper in the middle, in between the two front cables.

Would you do it? Should I? I guess I'd need to take out the decrease/increase part since she's obviously not curvy.
I don't mind using another pattern, but I can't find one with all the right components, and I'm not good enough to write my own pattern from scratch. Any advice?
I'm using the indentical-to-Malabrigo worsted merino from eBay that I used for my own hourglass, so I'll have to really knock down the number of stitches in the whole pattern for a 4 yo. Yikes. This is getting more involved as I type! LOL Anybody know of a child's pattern that would save me all this grief???

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Hmm, I think I'd use something like the Knitters Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. It has many easily modifiable patterns (including raglan in the round like hourglass) calculated in multiple sizes (including little ones) for multiple gauges. It's a great book to add to your collection if you don't already have it. I think I got mine at barnes and noble for $20ish.

Thu Feb 16, 10:14:00 AM PST  
Blogger erica said...

That seems like a lot of modifications...seems like you could start with something a little closer to where you want to end up? I know this isn't exactly what you described, but check out knitty's Bpt.
Or maybe Rogue? Okay, it's not what you described at all, but it has a hood and it's really cool...

Thu Feb 16, 04:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger binkwaffle (Holly) said...

Yeah, I think you're right. Why modify so much when I can use something like the book you mentioned, aggieliz, or a top-down raglan sweater with a hood and a couple of cables in it? There are a zillion calculators for that one online.
I guess I'll wait for the yarn to get here and play with it a little, sticking a cable or two in the swatch and seeing what I like. Erica, what's funny is that I thought about both of those sweaters! I figured that if I was going to modify anything, it might as well be the hourglass since it was the only one I'd already made and was sure I knew. But how hard is knitting something new, really? As adventuresome as I've been so far in my first year of knitting, why stop now? LOL
I'll let you know what I decide to use or do. I requested the Knitters Handy Book at my library. Only one copy in the whole city! Hopefully the person who has it will return it on time, something I'm bad at doing with my books. :-(

Thu Feb 16, 06:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Sherrill said...

I would have to say "no" on trying to modify the HGS so drastically. I did made my HGS from a bulky weight cotton blend and with gauge, trying to keep on with my finished bust size and the stitches was quite a bit to test my nerves...but I did get through it. I agree with the others that think the Knitters Handy Book of Sweater patterns would be more doable. Good luck on the venture.

Thu Feb 16, 07:53:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home