Friday, January 07, 2005

Sleeves?

I was just wondering if anyone was having problems with the sleeves. I am finished with the body, and got some shorter circs in the mail (not the 12", I couldn't find those anywhere, but I got 16", and was able to join just fine, so I figured they would be ok). My problem was this....when I reached almost the top of the sleeve (I had done the last increase and was just knitting even to reach the desired length), I tried it on and the thing was HUGE. It would have been fine if the sweater was in any way blousy, but I'm making the XS size (I'm not an XS person, but my boobs are XXXXXS, so I thought that size would fit me the best) and the sleeves were more like the XL (I could fit both arms into one sleeve). Has anyone made the sleeves? Any problems?

The other thing I don't get with the sleeves is why they are hourglass shaped as well. I was thinking of doing a small bell at the wrist area, but have it fitted most of the way up, since that is how the sweater fits. I am planning on designing a new sleeve, and just having the same number (hopefully) of stitches and bound off stitches at the top.

You can see pics of my dilemma at my blog- I would love to hear what the rest of you think.

7 Comments:

Blogger illanna said...

Try checking your gauge again in the sleeves? I had the same issue, except that my sleeves were too small, and it turns out my gauge changed.

Mon Jan 10, 08:49:00 AM PST  
Blogger jess said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Jan 10, 07:15:00 PM PST  
Blogger jess said...

how are you finding the fit w/ the body? i'm trying to decide between teh XS and the S. my chest measurement (not to get too personal ;) ) is 33", which means the XS if it knits to spec would be skin-tight (it's also 33"). are you finding it's right on? runs bigger than expected? smaller?

thanks!
jessica

Mon Jan 10, 07:19:00 PM PST  
Blogger Cathi said...

I guess the problem that I had with the sleeve is that it's the same number of stitches at the top and bottom (wrist and armpit). I don't have big buff biceps by any means, but unless they're going for a big bell at the wrist, I don't see how that works out. I actually did a pattern of my own, CO 43 stitches at the wrist and there is definitely wiggle room, ending up with 56 at the top. I hope to have the sweater finished by tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes!

Tue Jan 11, 11:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hmmm I'm working on the first sleeve right now, and it's huge. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it, but I'm still plugging away. We shall see.

Thu Jan 13, 04:28:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I decided to go with a simpler, more fitted sleeve. I casted on 46 stitches and will increase gradually until I get to 52, the number called for in the pattern. If this doesn't work, I'll rip back and go with the pattern...(Is it me, or does the photo not seem to reflect the sleeve as written in the pattern?)

Patti

Fri Jan 14, 04:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger xmasberry said...

i really like the bell sleeve and am quite excited about it. i finished the first sleeve last night and am pretty happy about it (we'll see what i think when the whole thing is done though...)

Fri Jan 21, 10:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home