Sunday, February 27, 2005

Tears...

The hourglass sweater has been my first ever sweater along with my first ever pattern from a book. When I first bought LMKG, I didn't know what an errata was. I also had no idea that publishers would release a book that is based on patterns with SO many mistakes.

So, when I decided I would tackle this project, I went to elann.com and bought 12 skeins of their peruvian wool. These came in 109 yard skeins, 9 more yards per skein than cash iroha. Already, I'm 108 yds over what the pattern calls for. I do some research and find out, from various places, that the pattern doesn't call for enough yarn. I freak out a little, because elann was really low on the peruvian wool in brandy orange. I rush to elann.com.. and lo and behold.. None left. And there hasn't been since. So here I am with my completed sweater, with no chance in hell that I'll wear it. Not even in the house. If I move at all the shoulders slip off and come down to my boobs. I'm guessing that I'll need at least 2 more, maybe 3 skeins to get it to cover my bra straps and to even think about the hemming. I've emailed Elann in hopes of a miracle, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Thanks so much for letting me vent. :(

7 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

that STINKS, atouria! one good thing is that elann's peruvian wool is their own brand, so there's a better chance they might have more around, or have it soon.

you might also consider going to the knitter's review forums to find a few more skeins - there's a board for those looking for yarn, or swapping things from their stashes, etc., and you might get lucky.

Sun Feb 27, 06:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger jess said...

also, my two cents on all the errors in the book is that anyone who bought the first edition ought to be able to send it back to the publisher to be sent a corrected second edition. i might just write them a letter to see if they'd consider doing that.

Sun Feb 27, 06:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger fishgirl182 said...

that definitely sucks. maybe you can add a constast trim to the neck and hem. i know all of the ones we've seen are single color but i think something with a different trim would also look very cool. will keep a lookout for any orange brandy yarn out there for you.

:)

Tue Mar 01, 11:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger fishgirl182 said...

i meant "contrast". sorry.

Tue Mar 01, 11:33:00 AM PST  
Blogger alison said...

Arrgggg, how frustrating! Definitely put the word out somewhere that you're looking for a few skeins in that color. There's bound to be someone who has that yarn stashed somewhere.

Best of luck!

Fri Mar 04, 06:38:00 AM PST  
Blogger illanna said...

That really sucks. It happened to me, too, but luckily my LYS still had the same dyelot because it knit up so fast. My recommendation is to just use another color for the rest. I think it would look great if you had the shoulder part and above in a contrasting color. On chicknits.com there are some ideas for contrasting colors that go well together for the elann peruvian wool- they have it in the ribby cardi area to help people decide on contrasting sleeve colors. Maybe try it out- you might like it!

Fri Mar 04, 01:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Atouria said...

Thanks for all the support guys. I like the idea of a contrasting color, maybe a red? I also really like it in a single color. It is a fairly quick knit and I really enjoyed working on it. It looked like it may end up a little long, so I think I'm just going to frog the entire thing. I can slim the arms up a bit and take a few inches off the bottom with no problem. It'll be a fun do-over. :)

Sun Mar 06, 03:31:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home