Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Done

I finished the Hourglass sweater this morning after fighting with the neckline a little.

I made a few alterations to the pattern:
-I've used Bouton d'or Cérès, 50% wool 50% alpaca, as we can't find the recommended yarn in France, and consequently had to do a little maths to get the right size.
-I 've knitted the number of stitches after the decreases for the sleeves as I didn't want them to be flared.
-I've done a turtleneck instead of the original slash neck version as the rest of the jumper is dead warm I thought my neck would be cold without something round it.

I haven't decided whether to keep the hemmed edges or not, I'll have to wear it first before I make a decision. The collar rolls up so maybe I'll keep the edges rolling to match.

It was the first time I knitted a whole sweater in the round, except for the sleeves as we can't find 12" circulars here, and I really enjoyed testing this technique as well as the lack of seaming. We don't get any models knitted in the round in France so this was the opportunity to try it.

A very satisfying experience, I might make another one in cotton for this summer, with the normal neckline this time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarita said...

Sophie it looks great! I picked up the yarn on Ebay from a shop in the UK - the price was not bad and if you decide to make another the Cash Iroha is fun to work with. But, I have really enjoyed exploring the sweaters worked with alternatives!

I am making good progress on my second sleeve and hopefully I will have a post for this blog tomorrow....

Was it as incredible in Lille today as it was here in Paris?

Ciao!

Tue Mar 15, 10:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger Sophie (Lille) said...

Still a bit cool but bright and dry at last!

Tue Mar 15, 10:45:00 AM PST  
Blogger Mary said...

It looks great. I like the alterations - I hadn't thought of changing the neckline, but it looks good.

Tue Mar 15, 01:17:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home