i'm another one of those people who devours pictures of everyone else's progress but haven't put my own up yet! i joined the blog when i was nearly done, but i found everyone's tip usefull nonetheless and my next one will be even smoother.
I added a hood, just by slpitting the work halfway between the two front markers and knitting it back an forth as if on straight needles & then joining the top edge by folding it in 1/2 and using a 3-needle cast-off (WS). it seemed to take as long as the rest of the sweater combined, but i do love how it turned out- kind of like an elf hood! i had to make it crazy long to make up for the width of the neck, so next time i'd decrease it a bunch more if i were to add a hood again. i also made the sleeves 3" longer at their narrowest part because i like my sweaters cozy!
oh yeah, it was made with 1 1/2 balls of Ornaghi Wonderful (no, no typo here - it's 690m/ball!), a mohair blend. i know it's crazy looking but it made me giggle, it was $16 a ball and was just the amount of commitment i could handle for my first sweater. i'm definately making leg wamers with the leftovers!!