Tuesday, November 15, 2005

another lurker

hello all,

i'm another one of those people who devours pictures of everyone else's progress but haven't put my own up yet! i joined the blog when i was nearly done, but i found everyone's tip usefull nonetheless and my next one will be even smoother.

I added a hood, just by slpitting the work halfway between the two front markers and knitting it back an forth as if on straight needles & then joining the top edge by folding it in 1/2 and using a 3-needle cast-off (WS). it seemed to take as long as the rest of the sweater combined, but i do love how it turned out- kind of like an elf hood! i had to make it crazy long to make up for the width of the neck, so next time i'd decrease it a bunch more if i were to add a hood again. i also made the sleeves 3" longer at their narrowest part because i like my sweaters cozy!

oh yeah, it was made with 1 1/2 balls of Ornaghi Wonderful (no, no typo here - it's 690m/ball!), a mohair blend. i know it's crazy looking but it made me giggle, it was $16 a ball and was just the amount of commitment i could handle for my first sweater. i'm definately making leg wamers with the leftovers!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your sweater. You just re-inspired me to start one of my own. I might just add a hood, too!

Wed Nov 16, 05:14:00 AM PST  
Blogger Stacey said...

That is beautiful! I'll have to check out that yarn. It looks great with a hood, and I was also thinking of making my sleeves longer as I like 'em cozy too!

Wed Nov 16, 06:25:00 AM PST  
Blogger Stacey said...

I forgot to ask - how itchy is it? I know it has some mohair in it...

Wed Nov 16, 06:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger wittyknits said...

Wow. That is great! I would never have thought of this sweater with a hood, but it looks fantastic.

I too am modifying the pattern quite a bit. I took my sleeves shorter rather than longer, but I'm adding little embellishments too. It's so fun to see what everyone is doing.

Wed Nov 16, 08:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger jen said...

Wow, that's so cute! I love the hoodie!

Fri Nov 18, 07:02:00 AM PST  
Blogger laura said...

awwww! thanks for your nice comments!

as for the mohair - not too itchy so far, but i always wear a long sleeve underneath cause even the softest sweater of all makes me itchy.

i just found out the yarn comes in solids too, as well as some darker multi colours - such a steal.

good luck everyone with your projects!

Sun Nov 27, 04:35:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home