Tuesday, August 09, 2005

What the Yoke is Going on?

I'm stuck on the "Divide for Yoke" paragraph, and I'm sure it's just me, but did anyone else read the first sentence and then try to follow the directions and get confused too? I honestly feel like a complete goof, but this has me stumped for some reason. I did what the pattern instructed: knit 5 then place the last 10 stitches worked on a stitch holder. Now I'm not sure what to do. Do I knit over the gap? Should there be a gap? Do I pick up another ball of yarn and leave the gap alone? By the way, that's not a quote from the pattern, my book is at home, far away from me. Anyway, please help if my confusion makes any sense. I've knitted sweaters before, just never in the round, and I think I've read the "divide for yoke" paragraph in the pattern a million times now, but I only feel more lost. Any advice? Help?

Thanks!
Lisa (Slip Knot Pixie)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, this part of the pattern is a little weird. I wondered what was going on, too. Your last 10 stitches are on a holder to your right. You then should be able to knit the stitches off of your left needle all the way to the opposite side of the sweater, where you put the second set of 10 stitches on a holder. Then you continue knitting until you reach the first gap. At this point you join the first sleeve by knitting the sleeve off of your small circular (or dpns) onto the big circular by using one needle of your big circular and one needle of your smaller circular. Now the 10 stitches on a holder for the body of the sweater should be in close proximity to the 10 stitches left over from the sleeves. Eventually these will be joined using the kitchener stitch. You just leave them hanging there for now. You can continue knitting until you reach the holder on the opposite side and then join the second sleeve.

I hope that helps!

Tue Aug 09, 02:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Turtle Runner said...

I also found this in a previous post comment:

"Hi Erin, I was confused about this at first too. Then I realized what I thought was the front was actually the back. It works out. Since you knit across the stitches before they go on the holder, there is no stranding.

Basically it goes like this (if I remember correctly!):
1. Knit 5, put last 10 sts on a holder.
2. Knit across back sts to marker
3. Knit 5 sts past marker, place last 10 on holder.
4. Knit front sts.

Hope this helps!"

Tue Aug 09, 03:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Turtle Runner said...

Good News! I got past my gaping fear and I'm working on the first sleeve now, so all is well. Thank you for the great advice, it was very helpful!

Wed Aug 10, 07:42:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait I just did this part today. I knit 5 then took those 5 stitches plus 5 before those and placed them onthe stitch holder so it was like 5 stitches from the back and 5 from the front on each holder. Right?

Wed Sep 07, 03:52:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home